Photo Source: BU Today
Happy hump-day! Here is some news that is sure to brighten your morning. As of 5 am EST. this morning, August 16th, the Commonwealth Ave. Bridge has re-opened to all traffic.
After a delay earlier this week, Commonwealth Ave. and surrounding bridges have re-opened to traffic. Both the Comm. Ave. Bridge and BU Bridge had been closed to drivers since the end of July while intensive structure replacement was done.
The original timeline had the area re-opening to traffic over the weekend. News of delay distressed locals and commuters as the construction and detours have made for rush hour traffic disasters since the roads were closed down. Luckily, the headache is over. After an all night-er structural construction was concluded at 5 am this morning. All lanes and bridges are open and Green Line MBTA services have resumed to their normal schedule.
What was Done:
According to the Mass. Gov. Transportation blog:
The finished condition includes significant safety and functional improvements for all users of the bridge:
- Dedicated bike lanes on BU Bridge
- Traffic signal at University Road intersection
- New Green B Line tracks
- Floating bus island for Route 57 bus stop at University Road
- Sidewalk and pedestrian walkway enhancements (improved accessibility)
- Lane adjustments and traffic signal improvements
Finishing touches to the construction are excepted to continue through September 2017. Officials have stated that there will be off-peak land closures on Commonwealth Avenue near the bridge in the coming weeks as final paving work and curbing installations are conducted.
Mass. Dot says you can expected the following :
Through September 2017, the following impacts are necessary for the contractor to carry out finishing work on sidewalks, curb setting, final paving, fencing, and utilities:
- Short-term and periodic lane reductions on I-90 during overnight hours in the vicinity of the bridge.
- Off-peak lane reductions on Commonwealth Avenue in the vicinity of the bridge.
- BU Bridge will remain open to all vehicular, bicycle and pedestrian traffic during this time.
- A minor pedestrian detour near the bridge due to work on sidewalks (eastbound pedestrians will use the westbound sidewalk between Mountfort/Essex Street and Carlton Street). See Pedestrian Detour Map.
- Eastbound bicyclists will use a shared lane approaching Mountfort/Essex Street and a temporary bike lane approaching Carlton Street (no bike detours). See Bicycle Route Map.
The Commonwealth Avenue westbound portion of the bridge will be replaced next summer (Stage 4: 2018 Construction Shutdown). The 2018 shutdown will last 15 ½ days in July/August with similar impacts as the 2017 Construction Shutdown.
Comm. Ave. Re-opening Delayed [BU Today]
Commonwealth Ave. Open to Green Line and Vehicles [Boston Globe]